Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 02:40:59 +0300

On 1/30/18 08:05, Tom Tromey wrote:
"Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Dmitry> Speaking of deletions, this is not strictly necessary (we could just
Dmitry> delete the whole TAGS and recreate), but it would be helpful if, when
Dmitry> passed a non-existing file that is in TAGS, 'etags -u' deleted it from
Dmitry> the index. Right now, it only complains "No such file or directory",
Dmitry> but keeps it in the index.

Could you try the appended?  It worked locally for me.

Seems to work here too, thank you. But we should probably keep the "file not found" reporting (-u means etags's output is unused anyway). It will help when the file name is actually a typo.

I wonder if 'make tags' would be able to make use of it somehow. If not, I'll probably have to reimplement it in Elisp anyway. Eli, any thoughts?