Re: emacs-26 d2d5e54: Mention remote file name completion in Emacs manua

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-26 d2d5e54: Mention remote file name completion in Emacs manual
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 09:45:14 +0100

address@hidden (Eli Zaretskii) writes:

Hi Eli,

> +  When completing remote file names (@pxref{Remote Files}), a double
> +slash behaves slightly differently: it causes Emacs to ignore only the
> +file-name part, leaving the rest (method, host and username, etc.)
> +intact.  Typing three slashes in a row ignores everything in remote
> +file names.  @xref{File name completion,,, tramp, The Tramp Manual}.

There is one exception: If you type two slashes at the top of the local
part of a remote file name, it behaves like for local file names. That
means, "/ssh:host:// TAB" completes to "/".

I don't remember why we have done this, but for consistency reasons,
"/ssh:host:// TAB" should complete to "/ssh:host:/", and "/ssh:host:///
TAB" should complete to "/".

Opinions?

Best regards, Michael.