Re: tar file-name-handler

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tar file-name-handler
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 18:54:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> First problem, unrelated to "stability": visiting a tar file on
> MS-Windows now displays an error message:
>
>   Error: (user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not supported")
>
> although the archive is parsed correctly.  And Tramp is loaded as
> result of visiting a Tar file, although it's unneeded and unhelpful.

There was an error in `locate-dominating-file', which did expand FILE
even if it wasn't a directory. Due to this, your tar file "foo.tar" was
expanded to "foo.tar/". I've fixed this, and I've also added some code
which shall prevent loading tramp-archive (and the whole Tramp then)
when it doesn't make sense.

Pushed to master.

Best regards, Michael.