Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:53:50 -0500

  > Well, my understanding of the policy was that one's _contributions_ are
  > owned by the FSF. I.e., that you have to sign waivers which tell the
  > FSF, "Hey, I give up all rights to own any code that I give you guys in
  > these certain projects." To me, that seems hypocritical and it seemed
  > that indeed the actual FSF policy versus what the FSF itself expounds
  > were in disagreement.

If you accuse us of hypocrisy, you should be prepared to present
particulars.  What is the principle that the FSF stands for, that
conflicts with our practices?

My hunch is that you've been misinformed about our principles.
If you say what you believe our principles to be, we can compare
them with our real principles.

Our main principle is: users should have control of the software
they use.  Therefore, a nonfree program is an injustice.

To eliminate that injustice, we release free software and encourage
others to do so.  We use copyleft to prevent our free software from
being perverted by middlemen into nonfree software and thus used to
subjugate others.

As for copyright, we do not consider that an issue of principle, not
directly.  We consider it a sort of weapon that can be used for good
or for bad.  When it is used to subjugate people, that is bad.  When
it is used, through copyleft, to protect people from subjugation, that
is good.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.