Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: George Plymale II
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 01:15:44 -0500

> Our goal is freedom for all users of software -- much more than
> "openness".
>
> We release programs under a copyleft license such as the GNU GPL in
> order to defend freedom for all users.  We ask for copyright
> assignments so we can enforce the GPL better in court.  It's all part
> of a careful plan for achieving freedom.
>
> See https://gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.html for more explanation,
> and https://gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html.
>
> Our goal is not "openness" -- we don't use that word.  We campaign for
> users' freedom, specifically to control the software they use.
>
> See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
> for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
> source.  See also https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-meme-hustler for
> Evgeny Morozov's article on the same point.

By using the word "openness," I wasn't specifically referring to the
open-source movement. I just meant that this policy decreases general
openness in the community since there is a certain gate, if you will,
which one must pass through in order to contribute to Emacs.

The other thing which I meant regarding "openness" is succinctly
expressed by Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos, one of the developers of GnuTLS:

"(b) The feeling of participation in the GNU project is very low, as even
expressing a different opinion in the internal mailing lists is hard if
not impossible.
(c) There is no process for decision making or transparency in GNU.
The only existing process I saw is "Stallman said so"
(this may not be bad, unless some threshold of disagreement has been
reached - but then it is fair to be able to disassociate myself from the
project)."

( from https://lwn.net/Articles/529565/ )

- George Plymale II