Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:48:31 -0500

> Also, I am legally under-age to sign any such copyright waivers.

Since it's the second time this issue shows up, I finally asked the
copyright clerk at the FSF and he says that it works as follows:

    If the person is under 18 years old their parent needs to also sign
    the contract.  The biggest sticking point is that the assignment is
    only valid up until that person's 18th birthday.

> So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

Apparently you could, but it's kind of a pain, indeed.

> Another reason that this is a fruitless policy.

I also find it fruitless/useless/annoying, but for having tried to fight
it, I know that it's just as fruitless trying to change Richard's mind
about it.

And I find it very hard to imagine how signing such paperwork for one's
Emacs code could harm one, so I sometimes get stuck this way between
Richard who stubbornly wants copyright paperwork and the contributor who
stubbornly refuses to sign it.

Both positions are only "a matter of principle" and are fruitless.

Anyway, happy hacking to you,

        Stefan