Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:11:41 -0500

> I suspect rename-file is trying to mimic 'mv' here. With GNU 'mv', the
> destination can temporarily be in a partially-written state when file system
> boundaries are being crossed. This behavior is allowed by POSIX. Although
> the behavior you describe does have advantages, it is not allowed by POSIX
> for 'mv' and it can exhaust the destination file system even when there's
> room for the final result.

Hmm... regarding the problem of transient space usage, we could simply
remove the target, then copy to the temp file, then move to target.

We can choose one of the downsides:
- a transient state where the target is missing
- a transient state where the target is partially written
- a transient state where we use more disk space

Not sure why POSIX chose the middle downside.  I personally much prefer
the third one.

        Stefan