Re: A couple of things that I think should be in byte bytecode meta comm

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: A couple of things that I think should be in byte bytecode meta comments
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:44:52 +0100

() Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden>
() Sat, 23 Dec 2017 21:44:34 -0500

   Because Emacs is critically used, by necessity the
   overwhelming and more vocal group is in the "why?" the camp.
   There are other venues that have the luxury to be more in the
   "why not?" camp for things like this.

I think many people are also trying to relate to you as a fellow
hacker, on a "what could possibly go wrong" level, w/ varying
bits of experience and familiarity (or lack thereof) of Emacs
conventions, that inform their instincts.

Personally, i think the ‘load’ conventions are well-entrenched
and so there is no real need to embed filename (can be reliably
inferred for "normal" usage -- people wandering into the muck
probably know what they're after, anyway, and can make do).

An argument explicitly against embedding absolute filename would
be the recent trend towards reproducible builds.  Everyone is
trying to catch up to Emacs' historical ignorance^Wbliss.  :-D

--
 (defun responsep (query)