Re: Where is the code for the Emacs server in the core?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Where is the code for the Emacs server in the core?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:39:05 +0200

> From: George Plymale II <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 02:58:42 -0500
>
> I am trying to find the code in the Emacs core which implements the
> Emacs server / daemon. The reason I am looking is that I am curious
> about implementing multi-tty support in the Emacs Mac Port by Yamamoto
> Mitsuharu. Unfortunately, I believe that I must first see the code that
> governs the Emacs server. I am not sure if that is the right place to
> look, but I am unsure where else the problem could be. The Emacs server
> purposefully rejects requests to have a terminal and GUI client. I
> assume it also governs which process will be in charge of all the Emacs
> clients. So I thought the server code would be the best place to look.

Multi-tty support depends on two features:

  . the ability to have more than one display_info object, so that
    some could be used for TTY frames and others for GUI frames
  . the ability to open a TTY frame on a named tty device, see
    make-terminal-frame

emacsclient and server.el use these two abilities to request creation
of a new frame either on a different TTY device or on a different X
display.  The files where this functionality is implemented are
emacsclient.c, server.el, frame.el and frame.c.