Re: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 19:17:55 +0000

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 07:55:41AM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> (x-show-tip (propertize "abc" 'face '(:foreground "gray")))
>
> What's different here from what you are talking about?
>
> OK, I'm using MS Windows.  But does this not work also
> on GNU/Linux and Mac?

This doesn’t work on the NS port. Tooltips on that platform are
neither system tooltips nor fully‐fledged frames. I think it also
doesn’t work with certain X toolkits (GTK?) where they use system
tooltips.

> And if that doesn't work on such platforms, can't we use
> a ("normal") Emacs frame where such things do work?  Just
> what is it that makes it impossible for Emacs to dim the
> text in a tooltip?  Sorry, but this is not clear to me.

It’s beyond me why you’d want to dim a tooltip. Dimming of menu items
is standard behaviour on many platforms whereas dimming a tooltip is,
afaik, a completely novel behaviour and as a result would just be
confusing.
--
Alan Third