Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:15:04 +0300

On 1/4/18 8:00 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I look at the feature's code, dig in with vc-region-history to get the
corresponding commit, and that gives me the date.
That will only give you the latest change there.

No, it gives me the whole history (which is one of the main benefits
compared to "git blame": I'm not blinsided by cosmetic changes).

IME, the vc-annotate buffer is a bit more helpful. Yes, it lists cosmetic changes, but you can jump over them with 'a'.

And you can dig down with the same command, until you find the commit that is responsible for the change you're looking for. And you ignore the commits that don't touch the relevant lines this way.

Unlike the region history, where you're going to have to scroll through all commits that have ever touched any part of the function (if you selected the whole function, like you're recommending; but otherwise, you risk missing relevant changes, I think).