Re: Sharp-quoting function symbols (Was: Native line numbers landed on m

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Sharp-quoting function symbols (Was: Native line numbers landed on master)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 21:09:12 +0000

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> schrieb am Sa., 30. Sep. 2017 um 20:36 Uhr:
Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> schrieb am Di., 11. Juli 2017 um 20:23 Uhr:
Hello all,

I can speak for myself that I religiously follow the convention to use #'SYMBOL instead of 'SYMBOL where SYMBOL is expected to be a function in the form where it's used; exactly for the reasons that Stephan mentioned. In addition, to the user it becomes evident if that symbol is expected to be a function or not.

I use that convention in my emacs config, packages, etc. I have even seen that convention in many other packages and configs too, from what I follow on emacs.stackexchange, reddit, etc.

This[1] is a very popular post out in the wild, by Artur Malabarba that explains why and when one should use sharp-quotes or hash-quotes.

If we are counting votes to add this to the official documentation, my vote is in :)

I, too, agree that sharp-quoting should be an official recommendation.

I've checked some sections of the Lisp manual: while #' is used in many places, it's only described in the context of lambdas. Other sections (such as "Mapping functions") don't use it. Maybe this should be described early on, e.g. in "What is a function" or "Function names".