Re: String encoding in json.c

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: String encoding in json.c
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 22:51:22 +0200

On 12/25/17 6:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

OK, but I presume the size of such buffers is rarely more than 1
MByte, say?

Maybe not. This bug report: https://github.com/abingham/emacs-ycmd/issues/163 mentioned large translation units, but I'm not sure which exact sizes are in play. The reproduction scenario used a 300 KB example, encoding which was quite slow at the time.

Files we visit are quite frequently much larger.  Which
is why I say that if the speed of en/decoding is crucial, we should
first and foremost work on speeding up file I/O.

If you mean I/O in general, maybe. I'm not sure which encoding speeds json.c allows us now.

But the JSON structure I was talking about is not written to a file. It's sent over the network (usually to a local TCP socket).