Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:32:27 -0500

>> Maybe some of the doc should be in the narrowing section, where we can
>> document the contexts where the narrowing is "guaranteed"
>> (e.g. font-lock and indentation).
> Hmm. Currently, that page doesn't exactly describe when one should call
> 'widen', and when shouldn't.

[ I don't think in those terms: with the new convention,
  an indent-line-function still can call widen as much as it wants,
  it just doesn't need to and probably doesn't want to.  ]

No, indeed, it doesn't talk about the different uses of narrowing.
It probably should say something, tho, especially w.r.t this new convention.

> Also, the piece of documentation I'm thinking about will probably need to
> reference, again, "Some major modes need to support embedded regions of text
> whose
> syntax belongs to a different major mode.  Examples include “literate
> programming” source files that combine documentation and snippets of
> source code..."; maybe that introduction should leave the Indentation
> Controlled by Major Mode section, and get a section of its own.

Makes sense.  And then refer to it from the narrowing section,
indentation section, etc...

        Stefan