Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:07:38 -0500

> Can you explain what the problem is and why you think it is unsolvable?
> In the prior example with raise-frame and lower-frame, we see there is
> no problem combining the two of these but once (next-frame) is added
> the combination of the two does not work.  Why?  Why would you expect
> that to be the case?

Because there's such a wide variety of ways for window-managers to
react to those requests that it's in practice nigh-on impossible to make
it work "right" in all cases (I put it between quotes, because it seems
that for some window managers the fact that Emacs's requests aren't
satisfied the way Emacs expects might be considered a feature).

> Why is it not a bug?

I think we do consider this particular case as a bug, tho I don't know
if there's someone around here who has a clear idea about why we get
this behavior and how to go about fixing it.

        Stefan