Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:00:50 -0500

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:50 AM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there something wrong in the test function or is there a problem in
> select-frame-set-input-focus?

Even if you get a thing like this work on your system, there will be
always another platform where it fails.

Can you explain what the problem is and why you think it is unsolvable?
In the prior example with raise-frame and lower-frame, we see there is
no problem combining the two of these but once (next-frame) is added
the combination of the two does not work.  Why?  Why would you expect
that to be the case?  Why is it not a bug?

  Note the remark in xfns.c:

   In an ideal world, XSetInputFocus should generally be avoided so
   that applications don't interfere with the window manager's focus
   policy.  But I think it's okay to use when it's clearly done
   following a user-command.

​Better to explain sequences of Elisp functions considered acceptable and
those that are not with regard to input focus handling​ and frame stacking.

Bob