Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 07:33:15 +0200

On December 5, 2017 7:08:14 AM GMT+02:00, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> On December 4, 2017 11:52:26 PM GMT+02:00, Dmitry Gutov
> <address@hidden> wrote:

> > view
> > indent-line-function is
> > calls
> > of the
> > >
> > > Ah, so this assumes that MMM is active in the buffer?  If so, can
> we
> > > widen only if MMM is indeed active?  Doing so will I believe
> > minimize
> > > (or even eliminate) the effects on existing behaviors when MMM is
> > not
> > > used.
> >
> > That widening is for correctness when working during an interactive
> > narrowing. MMM mode being enabled or not is irrelevant (it's not the
>
> > beneficiary).
>
> I understand that you and Stefan think so, but doing that
> unconditionally
> means these changes cannot be committed to emacs-26.  I was
> trying to find a way of squeezing them into the release branch, but if
> you think there's no way, it's fine with me to have this on master.

And btw, I'm not really convinced the unconditional widening is a good idea in
general, even on master.  I could probably agree that in most cases it is TRT,
but why would we _force_ all modes to indent with restrictions lifted?  No
exceptions?  Not even a fire escape for some specialized mode with weird needs
and requirements?  I'm not sure.  It certainly should be discussed, regardless
of the MMM issues.