Re: Xwidget webkit support for macOS X Cocoa

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: Xwidget webkit support for macOS X Cocoa
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:32:36 +0100

> From: Jaesup Kwak <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:13:45 +0900
>
> Hi all!
>
> I made a work supporting Emacs xwidget webkit for macOS X, which works with
> Cocoa and Safari webkit frameworks without need of
> GTK and X window. You can t ry it on master branch of
> https://github.com/veshboo/emacs
>
> I want to contribute the work to GNU Emacs and hope someone help me how to
> contribute.
>
> Thank you.

Thanks a lot for implementing xwidget on macOS.  Could you please
rebase your branch against the latest master, and post a patch to
address@hidden  The ChangeLog will also have to be in the
format as specified here:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

(It's best to use `C-x 4 a' and then the standard VC bindings to make
commits, so that the right style is used.  The ChangeLog messages will
be automatically copied into the commit message when you commit files
with `C-x v v'.)

Generally Emacs tries to keep support for macOS 10.6 and above, even
for new development.  I saw that you used the WKWebView as a parent
class for the XwWebView, which was made available in version 10.10.  I
made some small changes locally to adapt your branch to build with the
older "WebView" class, and it works on 10.6 (but it is missing some of
the bells and whistles).  I will work on it some more this week, and
we can hopefully include it along with your xwidget implementation.

Thanks again.