Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 21:35:43 +0000

On 12/2/17 8:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Still. Why would you need it? What benefits haven't you been able to
achieve without that support, while working on Emacs?

I don't understand the question.

I'm asking why "Emacs is written in these 2 languages" is important.

Surely, a feature that aims to
support multiple major modes should strive to support CC Mode?

Not necessarily. It should first and foremost support the languages that are most important for our users.

They are important, but so are C-based languages: C++, Java, Awk, etc.

I don't know CC Mode, and cannot provide patches for us. I tried debugging related problems a few times, and those turned out to be fairly long spelunking expeditions.

However long it will take just to convince Alan to agree, is anybody's guess.

It's not a catastrophe.  Assuming Emacs 26.1 is not a complete
disaster, we could decide releasing Emacs 27.1 as the next version.

Not a catastrophe indeed. But no step forward for mixed-modes support in Emacs 26 would be unfortunate.

Why would we need to remove that for Emacs 26.1?

It's not well supported, and it's incompatible with the code we are discussing. There's no point in having it present in Emacs 26, and then removing it in Emacs 27.