Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 00:07:38 -0800

Wow, sounds like you've done some interesting things, and it's interesting to see that you got it to work at all with a copying collector.

I do advocate making the
official Emacs compile with G++ with the -fpermissive option, to help
further experiments.

What changes would this entail? If you're already running Emacs through a C-to-C++ converter, why can't the converter arrange for the changes itself?

 - dumping (I'm currently using CANNOT_DUMP=yes. Is that supposed to
work? Because it doesn't without a few changes to the initial Lisp
files.)

It is supposed to work. Admittedly it's not tested much. We really need to move away from the current dumping model anyway, so CANNOT_DUMP mode will grow in importance (in some sense).

[1] - there's one place that uses "false" for "NULL"

Please let us know where, and we'll fix it.