Re: poplife-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: poplife-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:06:12 -0500

>> I.e. bind it to down-mouse-3 but wait a little and if there's not been
>> any "mouse-up" event with 1s or so, then pop up the contextual menu.
> The active region is not visible as such until `mouse-3' is
> released (the up event).

It doesn't matter, in my UI suggestion.
You can either do:
(short) click => do good ol' mouse-save-then-kill
press-and-hold => pop up a contextual menu

> So even if this could be made to provide a menu for acting on the
> region, the region would not be visible.

It's visible if it was activated by an earlier command, of course.
E.g. "mouse-3" followed by "down-mouse-3".

> The `mouse3.el' code intentionally provides for two menus:

My suggestion doesn't attempt to provide that.  It could provide a menu
whose content depends on whether the region is active (and whether the
click was made in the region), of course, but that's a bit different.

        Stefan