Re: windows installer

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:39:11 +0100

> From: Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@centralesupelec.fr>
> Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:03:45 +0100
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  ..an app to be really portable cannot write the host machine, so .emacs.d should go on the device where
>  the portable app is installed.
>
> And the more Windows compliant the app will be, the less portable it will become.

I think you are talking about a different sense of "portable" than the
one used in this thread.  "Portable" here means it can be carried on
an external storage device, and will work when connected to a random
machine.

No I use it with the same meaning as you do.
My point is that making Emacs compliant with the Windows apps guidelines
requires to store stuff is specific places, to register things into registry, etc.
Whereas at the moment, none of this is required, hence you can move your
Emacs directory at will.

--
Fabrice