RE: poplife-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: poplife-mode
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 22:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

> With following line, one can cut and paste text using a pop-up menu
> triggered by right click.
> (define-key global-map [mouse-3] menu-bar-edit-menu)
>
> I noticed that menu-bar items that lead visiting files, buffers,
> frames, bookmarks, and recentf can be gathered into a pop-up menu.
>
> I wrote a minor mode `poplife' that provides an integrated pop-up menu
> triggered by right click.  Also this minor mode offers contextual
> pop-up menus.  When a thing under mouse click is file/directory, word,
> and url, this provides pop-up menus of list of files, candidates of
> words, and url-opening-menu, respectively.
>
> (require 'poplife)
> (setq poplife-word-flag t)
> (setq poplife-url-flag t)
> (setq poplife-edit-cottager '(:imenu t :buffer t :frame t :bookmark t
> :recentf t))
> (poplife-mode 1)
>
> Contextual pop-up menu by right click is very common interface
> nowadays and I propose to include this (or something like this) to Emacs.

Related:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Mouse3 (description, screenshots)
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/mouse3.el (code)

Examples of specialized use:

* `*Completions*' window - actions on candidates and general actions:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Screenshots#CompletionPopupMenu

* Dired - two menus, single file or region of file names:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredPlus#RegionMenuWithMouse3Library