Re: INSTALL.W64

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: INSTALL.W64
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 13:29:40 +0100

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  Stephen Leake <address@hiddeng>,  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 10:02:40 +0100
>
> Do you believe D-Bus could run on w64?

This question should be actually asked on the MSYS2 list, because the
MSYS2 project does provide a MinGW build of D-Bus, so I would expect
them to test the port and see that it is useful on Windows.  Whether
the features it supports on MS-Windows are enough to satisfy what
Emacs needs, I don't know.

But that won't make emacs run with DBus. I quote a previous conversation with you (in case you've forgotten) :

me> At the moment, I'm trying to understand why DBus from MinGW64
me> seems to work (I can dbus-send info and monitor it),
me> but Emacs fails to take advantage of it.
me>
me> Emacs does not see any DBUS_EVENT in its event loop.
me>
me> The file src/dbusbind.c is making use of add_read_fd() and add_write_fd().
me> Are those functions known to work for Win32?

you> I don't expect them to work, because no one bothered to add the
you> necessary code to sys_select.  We only watch the file descriptors for
you> subprocesses we know about, and also for the keyboard and for C-g,
you> that's all.  Look at the beginning of sys_select, and you will see how
you> we collect the handles on which we wait with WaitForMultipleObjects.
you> There's nothing there that consults the fd_callback_info[] array that
you> add_read_fd and add_write_fd manipulate.

Clearly, DBus can't work on emacs/w64 because add_read_fd() and add_write_fd()
are not working in this context.