Re: INSTALL.W64

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: INSTALL.W64
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:46:27 -0700

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Just looked at this file (probably I should have done before but
> didn't!). There are some differences from the way I've been building
> the 64-bit Emacs; these might be worth considering either to update my
> build scripts or the INSTALL.W64.
>
> Specifically:
>
> ====
> Then you'll need to add the following directories to your Windows PATH
> environment variable:
>
>   c:\msys64\usr\bin;c:\msys64\mingw64\bin
>
> you can do this through Control Panel / System and Security / System /
> Advanced system settings / Environment Variables / Edit path.
> ====
>
> I'm not sure this is necessary; are they not default when using the
> mingw64 shell?

As the next paragraph says, these are needed by Emacs at runtime. I
don't modify my system settings; I set the path in a shell script that
starts Emacs. But something that changes PATH is required; this is the
simplest way to say that, and will work for most people.

> ====
> ** From the FTP site
>
> The Emacs ftp site is located at https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
> ====
>

> Not sure an FTP site can be located at https. Think we need to update
> the header.

It's a valid URL; try going there.

> ====
>   git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git emacs-25
> ====
>
> Obviously out-of-date for emacs-26

Arg. I thought I searched for all emacs-25; obviously not. On the other
hand, we don't want to update this file if the only change is the
version, and it does say "something like", so I suggest we leave it.

> ====
> Note also that we need to disable Imagemagick because Emacs does not yet
> support it on Windows.
> ====
>
> I have not actually being doing this, but I have been using
> --without-dbus.

I'm not sure of the full consequences of either of those.

> ====
> if your MSYS2 make supports
> ====
>
> It will, will it not?

Yes, since it's Gnu make. Not worth editing just for this.

> I'm also a little dubious about "INSTALL" -- I use the proceedure in
> INSTALL.W64 with a few path changes. Do we really need two INSTALL
> docs?

I believe nt/INSTALL is the process Eli and others use to build using
the older 32 bit MSYS. I have not tested it. We could perhaps rename to
INSTALL.W32, but that would be misleading since MSYS2 can build 32 bit
executables. Better would be to rename both, to INSTALL.MSYS and
INSTALL.MSYS2, and perhaps add a paragraph at the start making it
clearer what the difference is. Or we could merge the two, with
"if/then" in appropriate places.

> Finally, is it worth linking to the build scripts?

What build scripts? I guess you mean the ones you've been adding.
I see admin/nt/dist-build/build-dep-zips.py, but only in master.

--
-- Stephe