Re: Bug #29083: Is it OK to add a new function to the emacs-26 branch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug #29083: Is it OK to add a new function to the emacs-26 branch?
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 13:04:26 -0400

>> FWIW, it would be even better to add this command to which-function-mode
>> so it can work in "any" mode.
> which-function-mode is something a little different - it displays the
> current function name continuously in the mode line.

Yes, I understand that.  I meant to add such a command to the same file
as which-function-mode and using the same infrastructure.

> Am I right in thinking the meaning of your "to add this command to w-f-m"
> is that
> (i) There would be a command to display the current function name in the
>   minibuffer, together with a line offset in it, and the other refinements
>   currently in c-display-defun-name.
> (ii) This command would be available regardless of whether or not w-f-m
>   is currently enabled.
> ?

Yes.

> If so, I agree this is a good idea.  However it would need some key
> sequence in the global map (or we could expect each user to set her own
> C-c <letter> binding for it).

It's not indispensable: those users who want such a feature can bind
their own key to it.

> One disadvantage: this new facility can scarcely be included in Emacs
> 26, as it would be too big a change at this stage.

That's right.  But this feature has been missing for so many years, that
delaying it a little bit, in exchange for "doing it right" seems like
a good deal.

> I would probably be prepared to work on this.

That would be wonderful.

        Stefan