Re: Binary Search Tree and Treap Functions bst-assq and treap-put

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Binary Search Tree and Treap Functions bst-assq and treap-put
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:44:45 -0400

>> AFAIK it's O(1) currently (for byte-compiled code only, but performance
>> of non-byte-compiled code should be of no importance).
> There is one case where interpreted code performance matters: during boostrap.

Which doesn't affect users, so it's reasonably low on the priority list.
Also, I'm far from convinced that an O(log N) lookup of lexical
variables will help very much there (profiling would clearly be needed
to determine the main performance culprit, but I wouldn't be surprised
if it's completely elsewhere as in macro-expansion, for instance).

> I wonder if bootstrap-emacs could load these functions as a module to
> make bootstrapping with .el files go faster...

If we want to speed up bootstrapping, maybe we should aim to bootstrap
without interpreting Elisp code: keep a set of precompiled .elc files,
with which we build bootstrap-emacs.

        Stefan