platforms with crippled mice or (error "mouse-yank-primary must be bound

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: platforms with crippled mice or (error "mouse-yank-primary must be bound to an event with parameters")
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:59:11 -0400

Hi,

Some platforms lack second mouse button (most laptops), and some lack
both 2nd and 3rd (mac).
The almighty internet (https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/20946/795 &
https://superuser.com/q/364575/98857) suggests

(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "<s-mouse-1>") (kbd "<mouse-2>"))

Alas, when I actually do command-mouse-1, I get an error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "mouse-yank-primary must be bound to an
event with parameters")
  call-interactively(mouse-yank-primary nil nil)
  command-execute(mouse-yank-primary)

1. Is the `key-translation-map' the right map for this (as opposed to,
e.g., `function-key-map')? DIUC that `key-translation-map' is for the
user and `function-key-map' is for the system or packager?

2. Why am I getting the error? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a
(known) bug?

3. Shouldn't the solution for the problem be already in core? IOW, can
we detect the platform deficiency and install the alternative binding,
or maybe even install it unconditionally?

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net