Re: windows build help

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: windows build help
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:15:41 -0500

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>>
>>> Another solution would be to run both builds in parallel; this fails,
>>> unfortunately, because the "out-of-source" build is not entirely out of
>>> source -- the .elc files are created in-source. If I launch both a 64
>>> and 32 bit build at the same time, they fight for whole compiles what,
>>> until one or both crash.
>>
>> Have two source checkouts. then you could also build in-source, although
>> I doubt that makes much difference.
>
> I thought about that, but the reason against it is that it takes much
> longer, because I have to build the elc twice.

Hmm. You are implying that the elc built for 32 bit emacs are identical
to the elc built for 64 bit emacs.

Is that true? I would have guessed that most objects are either
32 bit or 64 bit; elisp manual 3.1 says the integer range depends on the
machine, and pointers should also.

If they are the same, then you should be able to write a script that
does:

1) parallel make to build elc using 32 bit
2) parallel make to build everything else, both 32 bit and 64 bit.

--
-- Stephe