SVG/PNG images in toolbars?

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: SVG/PNG images in toolbars?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:07:23 +0200

Hi all,

Do we support any form of scalable graphics for toolbar icons, or at least any
format that supports anti-aliasing? All I can seem to get working is
XPM/XBM/PBM, but I can't find a statement that we don't support anything better.

Additionally, I noticed that emacs -Q on my machine seems to ignore the
find-image specs of toolbar-mode-map for the default tool bar (that is, running
find-image with the specs found in tool-bar-map yields something like (image
:type xpm :file "/usr/local/share/emacs/26.0.50/etc/images/refresh.xpm"), but
that image looks nothing like the one actually displayed).  strace-ing Emacs
suggests that this is because of `x-gtk-stock-map`.

Is there a way to use custom PNG or SVG icons in the toolbar, at least for GTK
builds?  Or is x-gtk-stock-map the only option?

Thanks!
Clément.