Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent

From: Robert Inder
Subject: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 12:01:05 +0100

I'd like to be able to make the *scratch* buffer persist between sessions.

I realise that it is meant for things I don't want to save.  But every few months, I get interrupted or distracted, and realise I have quit emacs or rebooted a machine while there was something significant in *scratch*.  To know that I wouldn't lose stuff when that happened, I'd happily pay the price of having to flush the buffer occasionally.

I can't be the only one that is bitten by this from time to time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way I could do this -- something I could put in my .emacs that would link "*scratch*" to a file.
So maybe this is just a documentation problem.

But I often have to use emacs on shared accounts (e.g. root) so I'd like to think there was a standard/sanctioned way to do what I want.

​Robert.​

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH