Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:18:33 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: Richard Copley <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:56:27 +0100
>>
>> > No, it means to backport the change in the library order and then
>> > rebuild.  The modified source tarball should be uploaded to the same
>> > place.
>>
>> It's possible, or possibly a new binary and a patch file for the source?
>
> I'm not sure a patch file is enough to abide by the GPL.  Is there a
> problem to upload a full tarball?
>
>> But it all sounds like a release to me. Would Emacs-25.3.1 not be
>> better?
>
> Yes, 25.3.1 would be better.  But I'd also add a special README to
> explain what it is.  And I think I'd remove the 25.3 zip files, as
> they are not very useful.
>
>> We talking about 7b3d1c6beb54ef6c423a9?
>
> Yes.

I have uploaded a patched 25.3 to alpha and would welcome testing (esp
on Windows 7).

Issues: this is not a full release, it's just a patched
25.3. Directories have been left as 25.3. And I did the patch by hand,
because I couldn't get git to work.

Not sure if this the best way; a full 25.3.1 release might be
better. However, it would be functionality identical to 25.3 for most
systems, and I'd need Nico to do the release, as I never have done one.

Phil