Re: Emacs Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:28:45 +0900

The first update of the Mac port based on Emacs 25.3 is now available
from

  ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs/emacs-25.3-mac-6.8.tar.gz

and Git repository is also available at

  https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac.git

Courageous users are invited to try the `experimental/mac-gui-thread'
branch in the above repository.

> I also created a new branch `experimental/mac-gui-thread' in the
> above repository for preparation of multi-thread support in Emacs
> 26.  The branch itself is still based on Emacs 25 to test this new
> design and code on top of a stable basis.

> It runs the Lisp REPL in a non-main thread, so the main thread is
> dedicated to GUI tasks, which might be requested from multiple Lisp
> threads if we switch to version 26.  The GUI and Lisp threads run
> mostly cooperatively (i.e., do not run simultaneously) except in the
> `select' emulation.  Note that the variable `main_thread' in
> sysdep.c no longer corresponds to the "main thread" in a usual
> sense.

In addition to the usual configure options for debugging, I'd
recommend using "the Main Thread Checker" introduced in Xcode 9 by
setting the environment variable DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES to

  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/lib/libMainThreadChecker.dylib

If you are using lldb, then you can set it as follows:

  (lldb) settings set target.env-vars
DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/lib/libMainThreadChecker.dylib

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden

** Fixed bugs

*** Frame parameter `alpha' does not work in tooltip-frame-parameters.

*** Switching to/from `fullboth' frame does not preserve tool bar.

*** Hourglass (progress indicator) on a dark title bar is invisible.

*** Live resize transition animation does not respect internal border.

*** Some input methods (e.g., Japanese one) on macOS 10.13 do not
recognize Control+Space even if it is unchecked in the system-wide
short cut settings.  This issue is registered in the Apple Bug
Reporter as rdar://33842041, but still open.  A workaround is added.