Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:37:15 -0400

  > > The display of curly quotes in Emacs is a weirdness.  I think
  > > it is worth documenting in the manual.

  > It is already documented -- in the ELisp manual, where similar
  > transformations in substitute-command-keys etc. are documented.

That's documentation for Lisp program writers.
It is a weirdness for Emacs users, so I think the aspects
that affect users should be in the Emacs Manual.

  > This thread is about something else -- about a user option that would
  > disable converting `..' into ‘..’.

Maybe that should be part of what it says about curly quotes
conversion in the Emacs Manual.

I am not insisting this particular option is worth including there.
Maybe it is, but that's not my point.  I think the fact that this
conversion EXISTS should be there.

--
Dr Richard Stallman