Re: pdf-view removed from mailcap.el

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: pdf-view removed from mailcap.el
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:59:16 +0000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017, 10:37 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 13:52:47 +0000
>
> Shouldn't each commit made to the stable branches be merged to master at the same
> time?

It would be nice, but it is not required.

It would be great if it is encouraged then.

 Merging
from the release
branch to master usually requires some manual work, and is sometimes
not for the faint at heart.

If each committer makes sure to merge their commit, others don't have to review if they are merging others' commits correctly. I can talk of my experience in Org repo.. after my commits to the maint branch, all I need to do is check out master and do a merge.. as simple as this in Magit: "b b" (checkout master) "m m" (merge maint).

> I like that kind of flow in the Org repo. Notice how each time commits made to maint (Org stable) branch are
> followed by merge commits to master: http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/log/

An example to follow, I'm sure.  Maybe we could have someone volunteer
to be our "merge champion"?

One doesn't need to be a "champion" as they are just making sure that their commit is landing in master too.

Would you consider documenting and at least recommending this flow?

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi