Re: line-pixel-height beyond eol

From: Tak Kunihiro
Subject: Re: line-pixel-height beyond eol
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 08:14:26 +0900 (JST)

Thank you for the response.

>> The building block of pixel-wise scrolling is described as below.
>>
>>   (progn (vertical-motion 1)
>>          (dolist (vs (number-sequence 1 (1- (frame-char-height))))
>>            (set-window-vscroll nil vs t) (sit-for 0.01))
>>          (scroll-up 1))
>>

> I think you may be trying a specific solution too early.  I'm not yet
> sure I understand why the original code doesn't work for your needs.

Let me rephrase.  More specifically, the building block of pixel-wise
scrolling is described as below.

  (progn (vertical-motion 1)
         (dolist (vs (number-sequence 1 (1- (save-excursion
                                              (goto-char (window-start))
                                              (line-pixel-height)))))
           (set-window-vscroll nil vs t) (sit-for 0.01))
         (scroll-up 1))

Let's assume a line with image of height 144 pixel is located on the
top line.  When auto-hscroll-mode is off and (current-column) is large
(the 144 pixel image is scrolled left), the top line looks 27 pixel
height but (line-pixel-height) returns 144 pixel.  The inconsistency
results in jump.

I hope this describes my concern!