Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4c539: Add lcms2 interface
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:01:43 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:46:46 -0400
> Cc: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
>
> >     configure.ac: Add boilerplate for configuring and detecting liblcms2.
>
> Can't this be a module?

Only if we don't want this functionality in Emacs where the library is
available.

> The whole point of the addition of the module interface was so that we
> don't end up with the situation where installing Emacs either requires
> a zillion libraries that are "hard-coded" (tho dynamically linked) into
> the binary, or it only requires a few libraries but then the other
> features can't be used.

To me, modules are for users to extend Emacs, not for us to add
functionality.  It makes very little sense to have anything that is in
core via modules.  I see only disadvantages there: the code is much
less readable, and has more limitations on what it can do.