Re: New hook before-region-change-functions wanted

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New hook before-region-change-functions wanted
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 23:47:51 +0300

On 9/8/17 5:46 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

While it is true that this hook is not absolutely necessary,

+1

in that the
cache switch could be made by the first call to syntax-ppss after the
region change, it makes the cache switch clean.  In particular, the
cache will always be in synch with the region, and any functions which
examine the cache at an arbitrary time (for example, jit-lock
functions), will get the right cache.

Do we ever want the jit-lock code examining the cache contents directly?

The mechanism will also work a
little faster with the new hook than without it, given that changes of
restriction are more rarely effected than syntax-ppss is called.

I don't imagine the performance difference will be in any way noticeable. It's just one "if".