Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:39:20 -0400

>> I was thinking of doing it via unload-feature
> Isn't this out of scope for unload-feature? After all,
> package-initialize does not load features.

Indeed, the `unload-feature` function isn't designed quite for that, so
we'd want to use another function for it, but it would basically mean
extract the bulk of unload-feature into a new function and use it for
both unload-feature as well as the package.el deactivation.

>> if it doesn't work quite-right, it's a bug in the package.
> I think if we take an approach like this, we'll end up uncovering
> quite a few bugs, indeed. And I worry that this will result in people
> thinking that package.el is buggy, since the bugs will only show up
> when people use package.el, as opposed to any other package manager or
> as opposed to loading the packages manually.

Unloading a <pkg>-autoload.el should be a fairly unusual occurrence, so
most users should be unaffected.

        Stefan