Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:04:01 -0700

> > But you still haven't addressed the real problem, which is that
> > when Emacs inserts `package-initialize' into the init-file, it
> > usually does so incorrectly.
>
> I have addressed this before - "in case you a)don't use package.el
> and b)don't use any other package manager and c)don't suppress the
> proposed message manually, it's pretty safe to assume that you don't
> have much of init anyway and you're our intended target".

So in other words, your solution still does the wrong thing, it's just
that this fact is unlikely to cause real trouble? I still think we
should be aiming for a solution which always does the right thing.

In any case, as Eli has pointed out, adding flashy interactive
messages should be avoided except as a last resort. Adding
~/.emacs.d/.package-initialize.el is not intrusive, and most users
need not know the file even exists. Adding a popup dialog that happens
to every user at least once is highly intrusive.

> P. S. I think that instead of using the phrase "second init-file"
> you should use "separate package.el config".

I shall. In fact, I am very much a fan of Eli's suggestion:

    a ~/.emacs.d/.package-initialize.el file, to be read by
    package-initialize before it does anything else

In any case, the point is that this solution has NO PRACTICAL
DISADVANTAGES. Whereas every other solution has the potential to annoy
the user in some situation. In that light, it seems to make most sense
to choose the package-initialize.el solution.