Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 20:12:11 +0300

> From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 23:09:37 +0300
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> The problem with second init is that we're introducing a major user
> configuration change to fix some shortcoming in Emacs internals.

If the package.el configuration file is used only for stuff that needs
to be set before package-initialize is called, then its contents will
be minimal, and for many users it doesn't even have to exist, because
the use cases to which it caters are quite special (packages that are
installed, but the user doesn't want to use them).

By contrast, the problem we are solving with this file is a much
larger one, and affects many more users.