Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 05:37:01 +0300

> From: Radon Rosborough <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:33:51 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > That being said, one possibility is to have a function in package.el
> > scan the user init file for the definition of package-load-list, and
> > process that line before loading the packages.
>
> I really don't want to sound rude, but... *please* no. That would be a
> horrible hack.

We do something very similar in other situations, like finding the
file-local variables.

> It will fail in so many different circumstances:
> package-load-list set in a different file, package-load-list set
> dynamically, package-load-list set in an unconventional way,
> package-load-list set by a macro, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing that cannot be handled.

> Emacs Lisp is Turing-complete. It is futile for Emacs to try to
> understand it.

That's a strange thing to say about a program which implements that
very language.

Anyway, the proposal still stays, and I just pointed out one way,
perhaps not the best one, out of the conundrum that you described as
insoluble.  I hope someone will come up with a better solution, or
implement what I proposed.  Otherwise, I predict that we will remain
at an impasse for some time more.