Re: Refactoring flymake.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Refactoring flymake.el
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:04:42 +0300

Hey João,

On 8/17/17 5:40 PM, João Távora wrote:

Specifically, I'm thinking of separating its UI and from its
diagnostics-generating backends. Currently the latter rely purely on
lanching external processes and examining their output, but recent
experimentations with the LSP (Language Server Protocol) showed that to
not always be the case. Another example is Elisp itself, which is
syntax-checkable without an external tool.

*thumbs up*

If you are thinking: "Hasn't flycheck.el done all those things
already", the answer is probably yes, but flycheck has been around for
some time and isn't in Emacs, whereas flymake.el is. Anyway, that is a
whole different topic. I believe flymake.el's flaws can be fixed and it
can be made as good as, if not better than, flycheck.el.

I'm also committed to maintaining backward compatibility with the many
flymake.el configurations out in the wild.

That's great, but ultimately not so important, IMO. We can drop it in some future release, with the usual deprecation period.

4. Checking in again to see if it there's still interest :-)

Since Flycheck's author basically made sure we can't use it in Emacs or GNU ELPA, we do need an alternative.

Very happy someone is working on it, especially someone with your Elisp experience.