Re: Why does make run git?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 13:39:24 -0700

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

I think CONTRIBUTE should mention, right after saying to run autogen.sh,
that the above requires Git to be installed.

autogen.sh is not supposed to require Git, so let's fix autogen.sh instead.

'build-aux/git-hooks/commit-msg' -> '.git/hooks/commit-msg'
cp: cannot create regular file '.git/hooks/commit-msg': No such file or
directory
ERROR: Job failed: exit code 1
#+end_src

So it looks like it assumes that `.git/hooks' exists. I don't know why
that's not true in the GitLab checkout.

I don't know why either. I wonder what other compatibility mines remain unexploded in the GitLab field? Anyway, I installed the attached, which should work around this particular problem without having to complicate the configuration instructions.