Re: Changes not staged for commit with current master

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Changes not staged for commit with current master
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:26:42 +0700

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
> git status for master currently tells me
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>
>         deleted:    src/bitmaps/README
[…]
>         deleted:    src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm

Git is saying that your working tree is missing several files that are
present in the repository revision.

> What am I supposed to do with them?

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to author a commit that deletes these files:

    …/emacs$ git rm src/bitmaps/README […] src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm
    …/emacs$ git commit -m […commit message…]

Alternatively, if you deleted them accidentally (or they got deleted
and you do not know why), you can restore them this way:

    …/emacs$ git checkout -- src/bitmaps/README […] src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm

Or, if you do not have any work in progress, you can reset your
working copy to the state of the current revision:

    …/emacs$ git reset --hard