Re: syntax based indentation for SQL files (ELPA package proposal)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: syntax based indentation for SQL files (ELPA package proposal)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 13:54:22 -0400

> I'm not sure what are the next steps for this?

I think the main question is whether it can/should be included in
sql.el.  Maybe the best strategy is the following:

- add sqlindent.el more-or-less as-is into Emacs's `master` branch as
  lisp/progmodes/sqlindent.el
- change sql.el to use that indentation package by default.

Michael, what do you say?  Do you want to include sqlindent.el directly
into sql.el?

> I already have signed copyright assignment for GNU Emacs contributions
> in the past.  The package has another contributor, Pierre Téchoueyres,
> I'm not sure if he has signed the copyright assignment papers or not
> (I just sent him an email asking this).

Yes, he has already signed paperwork for Emacs.

> I think this should be a separate package, at least initially.  Based
> on feedback from Michael who maintains sql.el, there might be people
> who prefer the way sql-mode works now, as it has been like this for a
> long time.

I believe the default behavior should be to enable automatic
indentation.  We can provide some way for the user to disable it, of
course (actually, I think it would make sense to offer a generic minor
mode which provides "dumb" indentation in any major mode).

        Stefan