Re: Some hard numbers on licenses used by elisp packages

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Some hard numbers on licenses used by elisp packages
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 15:48:11 +0200

>   > Also I am under the impression that things are getting better, not
>   > worse.  A higher percentage of new packages specify a license than in
>   > the old days.
>
> This might be very significant.  Would you like to describe the
> comparison more precisely?
>
> For instance, what is the pool of packages you're analyzing?  All
> packages in GitHub?  All Emacs packages?  Something else?

All Emacs packages known to me.

> What time periods did you use for analysis, for each time period, what
> was the fraction with licenses?

I didn't say "analyse" but "impression" ;-)

While I do intend to thoroughly analyse the data in the future, I don't
currently have the time to do that.  I am quite busy improving the
*current* licensing situation by contacting authors.  Once that is fully
on track, I can concentrate on other important things again, like
talking to you about including Magit it in Elpa for example.  And then I
also have some priorities of my own.

> Thank you very much.  It's possible that your efforts are responsible
> for the improvement, if it is in Emacs packages.

You are welcome!