Re: Improving GNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improving GNU ELPA
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:39:17 -0400

> What are the current rules for using a separate upstream
> in ELPA?

There are no real rules, here, other than the fact that elpa.git may be
modified by us directly, so if the maintainer decides to keep the
"upstream" elsewhere it's his responsibility to deal with the fallout

[ We try to help with that by automatically sending her an email with
  the diffs that have been installed, tho this automatic forwarding is
  currently broken, as mentioned earlier in this thread:

  > - when someone commits to elpa.git we get an elpa-diffs email which
  >   I used to then forward to the corresponding package maintainer.
  >   This forwarding is currently broken because of changes to my
  >   email server.  This should really be done in elpa.gnu.org instead of
  >   iro.umontreal.ca anyway, so I don't intend to fix the old setup.

  Help would be very warmly welcome here.  ]

More generally: it's not ideas that are missing, it's people helping
improve the setup.

        Stefan