Re: How to get a list of changed files with VC?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to get a list of changed files with VC?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:52:57 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:41:29 +0300
>
> On 7/13/17 4:23 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>
> > More specific questions about my implementation:
> >
> > 1.  The implementation of the first function
> > `el-search--changed-files-in-repo' is currently git-specific, but I
> > didn't find a way to implement it with functions that VC defines to make
> > it work for other version control systems.  Any idea?
>
> For the changed files relative to HEAD, you can call the backend command
> (with vc-call-backend) named dir-status-files. But there is no way to
> specify the reference revision.

Maybe we should extend dir-status-files to accept a version, or even a
range of versions.

> Maybe calling the VC backend diff command on the whole repo and
> parsing the output could work.

I think Git is the odd one out providing this information as a
side-effect of a diff command (with a option that makes little sense
for a diff command).  All the other back-ends I know of provide the
info as part of the status command.  I think.