Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:56:46 +0700

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>   > **Suggestion:** Make https://emacs.org/ the official site of Emacs.
>
> To do that, we would have to set up so the GNU Project and Emacs developers
> can edit it.  THat would take our sysadmins more time than we want to
> lose from other work.

That doesn’t have to be hard. Likely, both sites can be served by the
same machine from the same directory.

Assuming the whole //gnu.org/software/emacs subtree is served as
static files and contains no relative links outside that subtree:

* Add a DNS entry for emacs.org pointing to the same IP address as gnu.org.

* On that machine, add a virtual host named "emacs.org" to the web
server configuration, rooted at the software/emacs subdirectory of the
main site root.

Functionally, that is all; for search engine optimization purposes, it
may be desirable to also configure both locations to add an HTTP
header of the form

Link: <https://emacs.org/{subpath}>; rel="canonical"

so that search engines know the two locations are equivalent and don’t
show both in search results.